Tuesday, June 24, 2008

40 in Australia

Today is my 40th birthday.
Well, actually the day of my birth starts in 2 hours, but I'll be too tired to post at midnight so we'll just improvise.

I was going to write about how the past 40 years have been great and I'm looking forward to the second part of my life and blah, blah, blah but once again I must post about an Aussie insect.


Now, the insect is not necessarily exclusive to Australia. However, since he's hanging out on my window screen right now I am taking creative license to say this specific insect is exclusive to my little neck of the woods. The insect is a Praying Mantis and he has been walking up and down on my window screen all day today.

For now, he's on the outside of the window screen so we are all happy. And to tell you the truth, he's fascinating. He's got big, googly eyes and he turns his head to look at you. I know my American com padres are wondering how big he is so think 3 inches. Large and green. Kaia decided to name him "Leafy". Kaia's playdate thought "Fluffy" was more appropriate. I like the name "Stayoutofmyhouse".

But I digress....I'm 40 years old - Happy Birthday to Me! As much as I would like to be in the States celebrating my 40-ness with friends and family (and summer), I must say my new Aussie mates are doing a fine job of looking after me. Plus the winter here is, well, non-existent. The days are in the low 60's with sunshine. Some gray clouds and rain occasionally, but it certainly is not cold. Nothing a coffee or glass of champagne can't help.

I'm trying to reminisce about my life so far, but I can't help but think about the future. I think it shall be truly interesting. New experiences, new sights and sounds, holding on to family, mixing new friends with old, appreciating the small things in life and being grateful for the larger things as well.

We are off on a much-needed holiday to Dunk Island near the Great Barrier Reef next week.....I'll post about the island insects when I'm back. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Maura,

I forgot to take into account the time difference, so I am late in Australia, but okay in central US time. Have a great day, you only turn 40 once!

Aunt Michele

Beth said...

Happy birthday Maura! I hope I look as good as you do when I'm 40 (in 12 years).

Pat said...

you could have traveled a few less miles to beautiful North Aurora to witness the praying mantiss.

Ask Kaia if she has any names left i can name the next one I see.

Anonymous said...

Love you very much! ncs

Anonymous said...

Love you very much! ncs