Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Today I drove to Kmart and some more observations


I'm getting pretty good at this driving thing....OK, at least on roads that don't have the word "way" at the end of them (IE: freeway, expressway).

Everyone I've talked to says I need to go to Kmart to get the basics I'm looking for like cleaning supplies, toothpaste and the like. So after I took Kaia to school and armed myself with my formerly-known-as-Target list I ventured out to the great unknown. I did get lost, but only briefly and here's why:

Lots of the more well-known stores here (like the Targets, Safeway Supermarkets) are attached to malls which is a bit different than in the States. It's interesting because you see people in the mall who have just done all their grocery shopping at Safeway and they are walking around with a cart full of groceries --- in the MALL.

Another interesting thing is the grocery stores do not sell liquor. It is not legal to do so. However, most of the time there is a liquor store right next door to the grocery store. Usually near the supermarket is a separate butcher and fishmonger so you can buy fresh meat before shopping for the latest outfit.

Interesting no?

Some additional supermarket observations:

The Aussies do not refrigerate their eggs. They are displayed on a shelf in an aisle. Beth, being a foodie, do you care to comment on this? Personally, I think of SALMONELLA when I walk down that aisle.

The fruit and vegetables are really fresh and the majority (95%) are grown in Australia. Nothing like supporting the economy!

On to Kmart:
The Kmart I visited is part of the Chadstone Shopping Complex which is also home to a Target, Borders, Myer (similar to our Macy's) and David Jones (similar to our Neiman Marcus) and a Safeway Supermarket. Then there are the smaller stores within the mall which I haven't seen yet. Needless to say, the mall is HUGE - much larger than Yorktown or Fox Valley.

I'm looking forward to getting lost in there :)

Anyway, the Kmart is exactly what I'm looking for when it comes to buying the necessities of life. It's a bit more reasonably priced than what I've been experiencing.

Which means I can buy one additional bottle of Sauv Blanc with the money I'm saving!

1 comment:

Beth said...

I was surprised the first time I saw unrefridgerated eggs in a European market. From what I understand, it's perfectly safe to leave eggs unrefridgerated. The chance for salmonella and other bad stuff comes with fluctuations in temperature. In many foreign countries, eggs are not chilled when they're harvested, or during transit, so it's okay for them to sit on grocery store shelves. I think it's pretty common for people to refridgerate them when they get them home, as it helps them last longer. So go ahead and have an omlette - you're not in danger!